Film Forum: Amour
Michael Haneke's honest portrayal of love and loss is a cathartic experience
Elderly couple Georges and Anne (Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva) have for decades shared their lives and their great love for music and, most of all, for each other,. Now in their eighties, the couple seems peacefully settled; their only daughter, Eva (Isabelle Huppert), has grown up into a musician herself and is living abroad with her own family, and Georges and Anne are content in their retirement from teaching. One evening, they happily attend the concert of Anne's former student (Alexandre Tharaud), unaware that it will be one of the last nights they enjoy together.
A few mornings later, their lives change forever in a single moment-the moment when Anne freezes during breakfast, suffering a stroke that goes unnoticed by them both, before snapping back to the present. Although neither one notices this brief lapse, its repercussions are devastating to them both. Georges can only watch helplessly as his beloved wife fades rapidly, signaling the end of their love and life together.
Michael Haneke's Oscar-winning film offers a brutally honest and wrenching view of life and death, yet celebrates the strength and bond of love that lasts a lifetime.
Amour will be showing in French with English subtitles at the Saratoga Film Forum at 320 Broadway this Thursday, March 28 and Friday, March 29 at 7:30 p.m., and on Sunday, March 31 at 3 p.m. Admission is $5 for students.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Skidmore News News Articles
Recent Skidmore News News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR SKIDMORE NEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST SKIDMORE NEWS NEWS
RECENT SKIDMORE NEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...